- For Israel to become a “Jewish majority” it opted to expel and dispossess the two-third Palestinian majority?
- 80% of the Palestinian people were dispossessed from their homes, farms, and businesses and have been kept out for the past 54 years?
- 95% of Israel’s lands (which is mostly owned by Palestinian refugees) is open for development to Jews only?
- Only one of the 45 Zionist Jews who sign the Israeli “declaration of independence” on May 14th, 1948 was born in Palestine. The other 44 were mostly Jewish refugees who escaped their anti-Semitic Europe countries, such as Tsarist Russia, Germany, and Poland.
- Israeli-Palestinian citizens live almost in segregated communities (or ghettos) because development is strictly limited outside their villages? Ironically, the word “ghetto” was invented to describe the living conditions of Eastern European Jews in Tsarist Russia!
- For just being “Jewish” you gain an automatic citizenship in Israel? Plus tens of thousands of dollars in subsidies too.
- Palestinian Muslims or Christians refugees, who were born in the country and later expelled, cannot gain Israeli citizenship? Of course, unless they convert to Judaism first!
- Pretending to be Jewish in Israel is punishable by law with up to one year’s imprisonment? On the other hand, if you pretend to be a Muslim or Christian the law does you no harm!
- When the Palestine problem was created by Britain in 1917, more than 92% of the population of Palestine were Arabs and there were at that time no more than 56,000 Jews in Palestine? That Muslim, Christian, and Jewish Palestinians at that time lived in peace with each other?
- Palestinians in the early 20th century owned 97.5% of the land, while Jews (native Palestinians and recent immigrants together) owned only 2.5% of the land?
- Close to 4 million Palestinian Muslims and Christians are being subjected to Israeli laws that are different than the laws governing the 4.5 million Israeli Jews? Is this a “democratically” elected apartheid, or not, that is the question?
- In the occupied West Bank there are “Jewish Roads” and “Non-Jewish Roads”?
- Israel issues national identify cards where the religion of the card holder is clearly shown in bold type?
- Palestinians in the occupied West Bank and Gaza drive vehicles with license plates that have different coloring than the cars driven by Israeli settlers?
- Palestinians in the occupied West Bank and Gaza hold ID cards that are of different colors than the cards held by Israeli settlers?
- The only form of Judaism recognized by the “Jewish state” is Orthodox Judaism, so most US Jews could not get married in Israel. Furthermore, the only conversion to Judaism recognized is Orthodox, so most US converts aren’t Jewish enough.
- The U.S. funneled into the Israeli economy over 130 billion dollars, which is almost twice the amount devoted to rebuilding Western Europe after WW II!
- Israeli democracy is a facade for “Jewish Democracy?”
- Israel has nuclear weapons, and it was close to dropping one on Cairo in 1973?
- Israeli soldiers use human shields in battle to minimize their casualties?
- Israel killed over 20,000 Lebanese and Muslims (90% of whom are civilians) with American made and paid for weapons?
Throughout history, regimes rhetorically embraced democracy as cover for more despotic policies, no different today throughout the world in countries like India, Pakistan, America and Israel practicing what Michael Parenti calls “democracy for the few,” (the) “shadier sides of US political life (in which) proponents of the existing social order have tried to transform practically every deficiency into a strength.
Israeli Democracy – Fact or Fiction?
Israel’s bulldozing of 62 shops in the village of Nazkt Issa, north of Tulkarem next to the West Bank line with Israel on Tuesday and its refusal to allow International and Israeli peace activists to witness the devastation illustrates the total control of the military in what is supposed to be a democratic state. Americans saw and heard little of this action except that it was caused by the illegal establishment of the shops by Palestinians. In a democratic state, the alleged “illegality” would be dealt with in a court of law, not by an army protecting bulldozers from citizens throwing stones. But Americans hear only what Sharon allows the corporate media in America to receive from his minions as he prevents outsiders from witnessing the demolition.
William Cook is a professor of English at the University of La Verne in southern California. His new book, Psalms for the 21st Century, will be published by Mellen Press in January. He can be reached at: cookb@ULV.EDU
There is no denying of the fact that the Middle East is mostly ruled by autocratic, oppressive, and undemocratic regimes. On the other hand, the majority of these repressive regimes were mostly founded and funded based on Israeli and American wishes. It should be noted that the most popular revolts in the Middle East have been ruthlessly crushed by American puppet regimes (whom the West often refer to by “Moderate regimes”) in the area. The regimes in Iraq, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the Hashemite Kingdom, Lebanon (before the civil war), Arab Gulf States, Morocco, Iran (prior to the Islamic revolution), Turkey, … etc., were all funded and directed by the United States of America; the land of the free and the home of the brave. Sadly, many of the so called “moderate regimes” are ten times more accountable to Uncle Sam than to their own public. Ironically, if democracy truly shall serve Israel’s national interests in the region, then maybe it should direct its powerful lobby in Washington, AIPAC, to start lobbying on behalf of the oppressed in the Middle East; after all promoting “democracy is the key” to a lasting peace in the Middle East?
Filed under: ANTI-ISRAEL, ISRAEL, ISRAELI-APARTHEID POLICY, occupation, palestine, Racism/hate, reflections, resistance, shoah, VIDEO & PICTS, zionism | Tagged: AIPAC, American puppet regimes, democracy for the few, democracy is the key, israeli banality, israeli democracy, israeli history, Israeli Human Rights Violations, Jewish majority, moderate regimes, Orthodox Judaism, Uncle Sam, undemocratic, zionism |